Strawberry Spinach (Blitum capitatum), also known as 'Strawberry Blite,' is a unique and edible green that produces delicate, spinach-like leaves and small, red, raspberry looking fruits. But make no mistake, the fruits do not taste like a sweet berry, but more of a mild vegetable flavour and a nice pop of colour to your salads.
Strawberry Spinach is valued for its mild, spinach flavor and is an excellent addition to salads and culinary dishes. Strawberry Spinach typically grows to a height of 12-18 inches (30-45 cm).
- Plant Strawberry Spinach seeds outdoors in early spring when the soil can be worked or plant late summer or fall when the temperatures drop for spring germination.
- Sow the seeds 1/4 inch (6 mm) deep in well-draining soil enriched with compost.
- Space the seeds or seedlings about 6-12 inches (15-30 cm) apart.
- Seeds should germinate within 7-14 days.
- Harvest the young leaves as they reach a suitable size for salads or cooking. The red, berry-like structures are also edible.